Campus Tour
  • mcrabtree

Campus Tour

by mcrabtree » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi! I just created a "campus tour" pilot for our 150 year celebration at Wayne State University. The game is WSU150 . In the starting scene I placed my plaques and my media content in the order that I expected the tour to go in if a user did the tour just from the app and not in person using the QR codes. I kind of expect it to keep clicking next and moving on to the next one, even if it has media content. Anyone have any ideas how I can get the app version of the tour to do that???
    chrish

Re: Campus Tour

by chrish » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Sounds like a fun project! Let's see if we can help you getting it to work the way you want.

I'm not sure I quite understand how you imagine the. offsite player progressing through the tour. Do you want them to tap on the map icons to bring up the information, and are trying to enforce an order on that, or is there some other interaction you have in mind, like going directly from one bit of media to the next, with nothing in between.

I can see the many map icons in your game now, and I'm guessing that you're hoping to create a sense of progression for someone not there. If this is the case, you have many options, most revolving around the use of locks.

You could place locks on all of the location triggers requiring the player to see something earlier, like the introduction plaque, before seeing these new spots pop up on their map.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could make two triggers for each spot, changing the text or icon to something dimmer or shorter for one, then applying appropriate locks to make one show up at one stage, and the other later on.

It would also be possible to declutter triggers by grouping them and then using something like a conversation to have the player choose which groups to see. On the back end, I'd make this work by having one conversation choice give an appropriate item and take any others away, then having scene triggers shuttle players to scenes with different groups of triggers in them. Again, this is a very fancy version. I just want to indicate the sense of possibility here, more than anything else. There's a lot you can do to create progression.

I'm curious too, who is your intended audience?

I know there's others out there who have made similar tours. Any advice in terms of design or logistics?