Best sources of information for AR and education
  • bef

Best sources of information for AR and education

by bef » Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello,
    I am putting together some information on augmented reality and education. I have focused mainly on informal education (e.g., state parks and zoos), but I have been asked to share some on formal education. Any recommendations for some key literature I should be reading? Or any cool research projects currently going on?

Thanks for the help.
  • fdr1984

Re: Best sources of information for AR and education

by fdr1984 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 am

anything Jane Goodall. She is awesome and 1 of my heros.
    chrish

by chrish » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm guessing you mean Jane McGonigal? Yes, she's good and she will use the term "alternate reality" but it is often relevant to the work we do with augmented reality. The terms can be a headache too because increasingly AR is used to only talk about the visual mechanic of overlaying a camera view with created graphics, but earlier education innovators used it to mean any composite reality. Things that use GPS, QR codes or even low tech mechanics.

A number of people in the forum have written a good deal about their projects about AR and formal and informal education. ARIS and arisgames are good search terms on google scholar along with AR. Also look for people using other platforms like Aurasma and Taleblazer.

A couple books that are free (PDF) or cheap (Lulu) to pick up and start reading and finding other readings are

Mobile Media Learning: Amazing Uses of Mobile Devices for Learning (2012, Dikkers, et al. Eds)
    http://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/mobile-media-learning-amazing-uses-of-mobile-devices-for-learning/

Mobile Media Learning: Innovation and Inspiration (2015, Holden et al. Eds.)
    http://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/mobile-media-learning-innovation-and-inspiration/

These both have a lot of stories of people using AR and related things in many settings, some of them formal. They make good and easy reading. Rather than spam you now, I'll try to come up with something a bit more comprehensive or at least extensive and post it somewhere and link back here.

Thanks for asking this question. It reminds me that we have often tried to do this and keep up with the writing about AR, but it seems to be a lesser priority. It also reminds me that its been a while since we've gotten together to tell stories like in the above books. I would be interested both in knowing what stories others have told and if there's interest in putting together a new volume. I know a lot of groups don't even have the time to put their stories to words, and so maybe I could find a way to help with that too.
  • bef

by bef » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 am

Thank you Chris for the information. I will check all those out.