Collaborating on a Game
  • pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca

Collaborating on a Game

by pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am

Hi Folks,

Is there a way that multiple students can work on a single game? Ideally, they could all access the same game. Otherwise, can they each build a component in their own accounts and then fuse them on a single game?

Thank you :)
    chrish

Re: Collaborating on a Game

by chrish » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Absolutely, there are a few different ways to do this. In Game > Sharing an editor can add in the account names or emails of other editors. Also, students could share a login. This might make more sense if there was a single shared device they were using. In my own teaching, we do this, but I also have students specialize a bit so that not everyone is actually editing in ARIS. They might be creating art for the game or editing a script in Google Docs (or https://hackmd.io if you want to write and preview html) that gets copied over ARIS at another time.

ARIS isn't really fancy like Google docs though, so you should be a bit careful with collaborative editing not to have editors overwrite each other's work. The separation of different functions into tabs in the editor can help with this, having one person creating conversations, another putting in art, etc.
  • pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca

by pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

Thanks much, Chris! Lots of useful advice here. We're also using specialized teams. My platform squad mentioned that they believe they are coding in Java and not HTML. I'm sure they've missed something, but what should I tell them.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. We're all fumbling our way through early days here!

chrish wrote:Absolutely, there are a few different ways to do this. In Game > Sharing an editor can add in the account names or emails of other editors. Also, students could share a login. This might make more sense if there was a single shared device they were using. In my own teaching, we do this, but I also have students specialize a bit so that not everyone is actually editing in ARIS. They might be creating art for the game or editing a script in Google Docs (or https://hackmd.io if you want to write and preview html) that gets copied over ARIS at another time.

ARIS isn't really fancy like Google docs though, so you should be a bit careful with collaborative editing not to have editors overwrite each other's work. The separation of different functions into tabs in the editor can help with this, having one person creating conversations, another putting in art, etc.
  • pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca

by pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 am

Also, I can't for the life of me find how to make a new post on the forum. I did it on the weekend, but can't seem to find how to do it now. My students haven't had much luck either. Any advice?

chrish wrote:Absolutely, there are a few different ways to do this. In Game > Sharing an editor can add in the account names or emails of other editors. Also, students could share a login. This might make more sense if there was a single shared device they were using. In my own teaching, we do this, but I also have students specialize a bit so that not everyone is actually editing in ARIS. They might be creating art for the game or editing a script in Google Docs (or https://hackmd.io if you want to write and preview html) that gets copied over ARIS at another time.

chrish

by chrish » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:28 am

How strange. It is a bit taught to find. First you need to navigate into a category (like ARIS > Basics). Atop all the existing topics, there should be a link titled "new topic". That's what you're looking for. Alternately, you can try searching if you want to post on something that's come up before (though the search functionality here may have you pulling out hair too).
  • pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca

by pauldarvasi@yahoo.ca » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

OK, it works. Thank you!!!

chrish wrote:How strange. It is a bit taught to find. First you need to navigate into a category (like ARIS > Basics). Atop all the existing topics, there should be a link titled "new topic". That's what you're looking for. Alternately, you can try searching if you want to post on something that's come up before (though the search functionality here may have you pulling out hair too).