Plaque exit to Conversation?
  • WaterGuerrilla

Plaque exit to Conversation?

by WaterGuerrilla » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Anyone figure a way to flow Player action directly from exiting a Plaque to a Conversation?

This works well from Conversations to Plaques but I'm finding that one must use sometimes complicated locking mechanisms to do the inverse and this is causing me some design consternation.

Unfortunately, unless I am missing something, the exit feature on Plaques only lets one "Exit" rather than "Exit To" as with Conversations...

MT
  • cleffingwell

Re: Plaque exit to Conversation?

by cleffingwell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:44 am

One way to do it I think could be to have another plaque with ARIS JS appear after the plaque in question is viewed. It actually would not appear to the user but just would go straight to the conversation.

<script type="text/javascript">
    var ARIS = {};
    ARIS.ready = function() {

ARIS.exitToDialog(dialog_id);

}
    </script>
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for this suggestion, Charles. I will give it a try. I am fairly inexpert at javascript. I am assuming that by modifying the variable fields in the code you pasted I should be able to direct the launch of a conversation in a new plaque? I'll give that a go and test that out a few ways to see how I can educate myself in js over the next 24 hours.

By the way, I don't know where the thread is anymore, but I wanted to thank you for your advice regarding a past query about custom video aspect ratios. You were correct in your advice. My videos were still exporting in 16:9 even though settings appeared that I was exporting 9:16, and that had resulted in them being micro when viewed in the ARIS Plaque. It took several hours for me to find the way to change the relevant AR settings in the video editor I'm using (MAGIX Movie Editor Pro 2014) because the setting was nested three submenus deep and on export overrides this AR setting would automatically override the AR changes I made in the general movie settings menu I had been looking at before.

So I was able to get 9:16 videos. And when they open in Plaques, they occupy the entire iPhone screen without the need for enlargement. Our field-testers have suggested modifying our video subtitles to account for the fact that the iPhone player ribbon occupies a strip on the bottom of the video that can cut off long subtitles during the first few seconds before the ribbon disappears, so that is another practical challenge, but we are making progress!

Thank you for your support.
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm

That code I pasted refers to the 'dialogID' within it. You can find that number by selecting the conversation on the left side of the editor in the game objects list. When the conversation name opens, hover the mouse over the upper right side of the screen, and a number magically appears. like 79278... place that number so it replaces the text of 'dialogID' in the code like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var ARIS = {};
    ARIS.ready = function() {

ARIS.exitToDialog(79278);

}
    </script>

When this plaque is activated after being unlocked by 'the player viewing the plaque' previous, it sends the player to the conversation right away, they won't even see this plaque with the code in it. You could call this plaque 'Send to Conversation XXX' so you can identify it in the editor.

You don't really have to understand how the javascript works to use the ARISjs except where to find the numbers if needed for plaque IDs, conversation IDs, etc.

I used this reference a lot when first programming with ARIS.
    https://sites.google.com/site/aris2manual/editor/arisjs
    Attachments
    Capture.PNG
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Here is what the plaque looks like when I create one...
    Attachments
    Capture2.PNG
  • cleffingwell

by cleffingwell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I see you are posting about android and perhaps you are not using the editor located at arisgames.org/editor.
    If you are using another server or the android version, i am not sure the ARISjs techniques will work.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I am using http://arisgames.org/editor. ...

I have not been able to get ARIS for Android to work yet. Investigating why not is on my agenda for tomorrow.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Interesting note: I have to hover over that text on the Conversation dialogue box to get it to show the object code number. Otherwise it is invisible.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Okay. Tested your suggested method just once and it appears to function as you described. Am going to replicate as appropriate.

Do you know why some exits result in the new arrival screen shoved aside to the right and focused on the menu and some do not?

Here is an example that is often happening to me and it's probably some error in my approach but I don't know what the error is.

The screen shoved aside to the right occurs after the javascript routing the Player from the Plaque to the Conversation I want them to go to, but it's shoved aside in favor of the menu. Now, the Player has arrived at the routing Plaque via this same Conversation which I have anchored to the menu and am routing them back to. But I don't want them to land on this weird looking screen and have to swipe stuff over and am uncertain why this seems often occurs with my designs.

• WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:54 pm

On further exploration, I'm not sure I have executed the javascript correctly. I am getting conflicting results.

I am also noticing that the menu icon associates itself with my anchored conversation after its first occurrence but not on its first occurrence or when an intervening object or layer has been interacted with.