Page 1 of 1

UTF-8 codes do not save in plaque HTML

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 am
by jdolane5
When I use a UTF-8 code for a special character 'é' in the plaque editor, and then save it, when I go back in, the UTF-8 code is replaced with the special character itself.

For example, when I save this code: résoudre
and then I go back into the plaque editor, it looks like this: résoudre

I want for the plaque editor to save my UTF-8 codes as they are in the editor so that I can go back in and see where they are.

The reason I need to be able to do this is because the special characters themselves don't display properly in the game. When the UTF-8 code gets changed back to the special character itself, and then I save the plaque, it is once again not displayed properly. This means that every single time I want to edit something in my plaque, I need to once again change every single accent to a UTF-8 code. This is important because my game is in French.

Re: UTF-8 codes do not save in plaque HTML

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm
by logeshwaranseo
When I use a UTF-8 code for a special character 'é' in the plaque editor, and then save it, when I go back in, the UTF-8 code is replaced with the special character itself.

For example, when I save this code: résoudre
and then I go back into the plaque editor, it looks like this: résoudre

I want for the plaque editor to save my UTF-8 codes as they are in the editor so that I can go back in and see where they are.

The reason I need to be able to do this is because the special characters themselves don't display properly in the game. When the UTF-8 code gets changed back to the special character itself, and then I save the plaque, it is once again not displayed properly. This means that every single time I want to edit something in my plaque, I need to once again change every single accent to a UTF-8 code. This is important because my game is in French.

Re: UTF-8 codes do not save in plaque HTML

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:46 pm
by chrish
I've not seen this with accented characters, but it's been a while since I've looked for them. I did notice and report on this happening with emoji.

I can enter the emoji into the editor and save. Then the game will display those characters correctly in the app. But as you found, when I open the plaque (etc.) in the editor again, that character is removed from the editor and the game.

Your workaround sounds smarter than mine, but as you report in the other thread, it sounds like ARIS doesn't know entirely what to do with the unicode code word either.

The workaround I developed was to not edit these scripts in the editor, but in HackMD.io. It's like Google Docs but for html and markdown. If a script needed changed, I'd edit it in HackMD and then copy paste into the editor, and just tried to be careful not to open those scripts otherwise.