notebook mic & video crash app
  • joltman

notebook mic & video crash app

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 am

I updated to the new app today...and now when I try to record a voice memo or record a video in the notebook, the app completely crashes. This only happens on my iPhone (6S running latest version iOS). On my iPad 2 (running iOS 9.2.1 - not compatible with 10) it works fine.

I've figured out that on my iPad, where the notebook is fully functional, my privacy settings on my iPad "allow" ARIS to access my mic. On my iPhone, where I can't record audio or video, ARIS is not listed as an app under Mic privacy settings. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ARIS on my iPhone, but no luck.

How do I get ARIS to ask permission to use the mic? I think that would solve my problem.
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    http://www.julieoltman.com
  • joltman

Re: notebook mic & video crash app

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:10 am

Just tried deleting/reinstalling ARIS again on my iPhone...it asked for permission to use my location (granted)...then I went into notebook and clicked on the camera...it asked for permission to use the camera and to access my photos (granted)....then I tried to record video and it crashed. I went back in and tried to record audio, and it crashed. I checked the privacy settings and ARIS is listed as an app under camera and photos but not under microphone.

Not sure what else to try. Really hoping there is a solution as the ability to record audio notes is key in my game. It allows me to do stealth pre/post assessment. I would hate to lose that data....

Thank you for all you guys do!!
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Weird. I cannot replicate on my iPhone 6s. I am able to record from the microphone and camera. In the relevant privacy settings, ARIS is approved.
  • joltman

by joltman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Well, I completely wiped my iPhone's content and settings and "set up as new". Then I installed ARIS. same issues. Trying to record audio or video in the notebook completely crashes ARIS. I even tried multiple games. I'm at a loss....
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:41 pm

That sounds awful. I don't know what to suggest next.
  • WaterGuerrilla

by WaterGuerrilla » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I am also unable to replicate this error on my iPhone SE. Might it be a game element that is triggering the crash? For example, do you have some lock triggered to accessing Notebook or posting a Note with video/audio where the crash is the fulfillment of an unintended lock that pushes the user out of the game because it thinks the user is done?
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks for the reply! No, it's not a game error - the same game works flawlessly on any other device. I have no idea why my lonely iPhone is the only fail. Also, I created a notebook "test" game and the mic crashes on my iPhone for that game too.

It's either my phone is not working properly, I am missing a setting, or there is a conflict between the latest version of ARIS and the latest iOS and/or this particular iPhone model.
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:13 am

My working phone and OS are the same as your non-working one.
  • joltman

by joltman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Other apps ask for permission (Skype) to use the mic and camera...just not ARIS. The mic does work for voice notes. I have restrictions turned off.

I wanted to see if I could try a beta version of ARIS on my iphone but it won't install...is it still possible to install a beta version? If so, how?
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
  • joltman

by joltman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Ok...so I just got off with Apple support....my phone is fine. They ran a diagnostic and we reset settings etc...Apple says it's the app.

ARIS asks for permission to use my location and my camera, but never asks to use my mic. Location and mic are listed in the ARIS control panel in settings, but mic is not.

So...it appears that there is some weird bug in the code that I have apparently fallen victim to.

I believe I read somewhere that Apple now requires apps to say "why" it needs permission to use location, camera, mic, etc... Maybe that was missed for the mic?

Anyway, here's the transcript of my chat with Apple.

Here's the transcript of your chat with Apple Support:
    Saturday, Nov 19, 2016 05:29 PM
    Duration 18 minutes 23 seconds

Randy

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Randy. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Randy

Hey there, Julie! How are you doing today?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I'm well, thank you.

Randy

I’m so glad to hear that! I see that your chatting in because an app is not allowing you to access permission to the microphone. Do I have that right?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I have installed an app on my iPhone that requires use of my mic. However, the app doesn't ask for permission to use the app and crashes when I try to use the mic.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I tested permissions by installing Skype and Skype did ask for permission to use my mic.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I have contacted the app developer and they say that they cannot replicate the issue on the same version of iOS or the app or phone.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I even tried resetting my phone - wiping all content and settings. Still doesn't work.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

Can you do a hardware diagnostic?

Randy

I would be happy to run a diagnostic, although it sounds like this is specific to the app itself.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

That's what I think too but I'd like to rule out a hardware issue.

Randy

Absolutely.

Randy

Are you familiar with how to access the diagnostic menu on the iPhone?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

no

julie.oltman@gmail.com

hello?

Randy

Sorry there. My computer froze for a moment.

Randy

To do this you would go into Settings and tap on Privacy and then click on Diagnostics and Usage. Then an option to “Start Diagnostics with Apple” should appear, and you’ll need to click on that for me.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

you should call support, lol

Randy

Haha. I agre.

Randy

Agree* fast hands.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

got it

Randy

Does the iPhone display “Waiting..."?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

yes

Randy

Thank you. You can close out of this for me.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

ok

Randy

Might I have just a few moments to review the diagnostic, Julie?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

no problem

Randy

Thank you for your patience. I took a look and from what it appears everything on the iPhone itself is looking good , all mics and sensors are looking good.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

well, that's good. thanks. I'll let the app developer know.

Randy

I would like to check one thing if you wouldn’t mind.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

sure thing

Randy

Could you go into Settings and scroll down and tap on the app for me?

Randy

Typically it will have options for Location, Mic, Camera and various permissions.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

I have to install it again, lol. hold on a sec.

Randy

Take your time!

julie.oltman@gmail.com

ok...so it lists location, camera, and cellular data as being allowed - but no mention of mic. When I opened it, it asked for permission to use location and camera, but not mic.

Randy

Interesting.

Randy

That definitely seems to indicate that this may be app specific as you can typically access all permissions within this area.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

didn't they separate mic out in iOS 10?

Randy

How so?

Randy

The Mic option itself will still appear here as its own permission.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

when you code an app in XCode, I think they made new requirements for asking permissions, specifically for mic

julie.oltman@gmail.com

like, the notification has to say why the app needs permission...

Randy

Got it. That is definitely possible. I do know that most all apps that are available still have a permissions section within here for the Mic. I double checked snapchat and a few apps I have and it is still present there.

julie.oltman@gmail.com

Ok, well, thanks for trying. I'm gonna go back to the dev.

Randy

It was my pleasure my friend! Do you have any further questions or are you satisfied with the steps we’ve taken today to verify the iPhone components are in working order?

julie.oltman@gmail.com

Nope, you've been great. Thanks.
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University