Adjusting decoder error messages
  • Laura@Westweg

Adjusting decoder error messages

by Laura@Westweg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:28 am

Hey there again,

I've seen this feature request before (in Google Groups) but I think it hasn't been put into the game yet, thus I'm requesting again.
    It would be fantastic if you could adjust the decoder error message when putting in a wrong answer, as now it may be a bit confusing for the user. Right now it suggests that the code is not incorrect but cannot be used at this point in the game, suggesting that the answer may be relevant at another point. For open questions this is of course not always the case and could be misleading. Thus, it would be great if you could adjust the error message to say something like "Sorry, but this code/answer is incorrect. Try again". This would make it more clear that the answer is not correct and isn't just put in at the wrong time so to speak.

I hope I could make myself clear. I would love to see this in the game soon! If it's already in the game and I just overlooked this feature, please let me know :)

Thanks in advance,

Laura@Westweg
    chrish

Re: Adjusting decoder error messages

by chrish » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Nice points, Laura. How about a non-verbal cue. Maybe like what you get when you try to log in to a mac or iOS device but the password is no good. A shaky or red flashing, "does not work" feeling. Even when the text isn't directly incorrect, it can pull the player out of the game's narrative all the same.
  • joltman

by joltman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 am

Chris, I like your suggestion as an option for sure. But I would also like the option to customize the error message as well...sometimes you might want to provide a hint or reminder to the player.....When we were using the transitional editor between 1.0 and 2.0, I believe you could customize the text...and that was pretty cool :-)
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    http://www.julieoltman.com
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:40 pm

@joltman, you're describing changing it globally for the whole game, correct? I think that would be doable, but I also think the best default is something without words since we can't be more specific in saying what's wrong. That way, not every author would need to wade into these waters unless they wanted to.
  • joltman

by joltman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi Chris,

No - I'm actually hoping for the ability to customize the error message for each unique QR/decoder code. :-)
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:38 pm

But how would ARIS know which one you were trying to enter?
  • joltman

by joltman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 am

Oh yeah. Good point. Hey, a person can dream, right?
    Julie Oltman
    Lehigh University
    chrish

by chrish » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Absolutely! I didn't mean to shut you down, but really want to know, how do you see this playing out?
  • tnelson

by tnelson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Could we code the Decoder with a null value or a wild card value? Would that distinguish between "that code doesn't exist" and "that code exists but you can't use it yet"? I suppose for the latter, we could create a plaque that is available when the lock conditions aren't met so that when the player enters the code, they would get the plaque with the special message (e.g. You can't talk to the Wizard yet because you don't have the ruby slippers!)
    chrish

by chrish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 pm

That sounds like it could be coded. The game has a list of all used QR codes or a range or something. Maybe even a list manually populated by the author if we want to get fancy. It can then distinguish between codes that are among this list and those that are not. Ones that are not get one error message, ones that are get another.